Re: Two questions about the guile module system

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Two questions about the guile module system
Date: 05 Apr 2003 13:30:45 +0200

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> writes:

> I now notice that my solution from yesterday does not work with more
> recent versions of guile.

I have tested it with guile-1.6.3 and recent CVS HEAD; both work fine.
What version are you talking about and what goes wrong?

(Btw, there is also module-map which might be more natural to use in
place of module-for-each.)

> Unfortunately this is not the first time that I found Guile to be
> unstable...

Yeah, that's right.  Hopefully, it is 'reasonably' stable and people
are happy to switch over to the new ways because they are obviously
better.  That seems not to be true in your case, unfortunately, so I
like to know more.

> This makes it impossible to enhance the root environment
> with even a single macro like 'define-my-module'.

I find this not to be true, but it is indeed tricky to reason about
the context in which modules are loaded.

> Someone has a solution for this problem?

There certainly is a solution, but you need to specify your problem
more precisely, I'm afraid.

> I am more and more getting the impression that the module system
> sucks... Worse: it was better in older versions of Guile.

What was better about it in what versions?