Re: apt based package dist for guile?

From: Thamer Al-Harbash
Subject: Re: apt based package dist for guile?
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:29:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:31:53PM -0400, Thamer Al-Harbash wrote:
>
> > I'd sooner stick a needle in my eye than use a CPAN like system.
>
> Why is that?

Sorry for the knee jerk reaction. This isn't the forum to knock
other packaging systems.

There are too many reasons to list. I could probably discuss the
pros and cons for hours. Suffice it to say that for operating
systems which you want to ship to users and keep up to date
yourself, using a packaging system with automatic dependency
tracking is great.

For a programming environment this is not the case. Making this
inpersonal, automatic, and "always up to date" is not necessarily
good. You go from shipping a really nice Scheme
interpreter/library to shipping a virtual plastform.

My own feeling is that there should be a maintainer or two that
keeps track of stable guile software and keep a directory up to
date. This process can also be automated by having programmers
submit their projects for listing. We already have freshmeat, and
the Free Software Directory. These two directories can serve this
purpose well enough as it is.

--
Thamer Al-Harbash
GPG Key fingerprint: D7F3 1E3B F329 8DD5 FAE3  03B1 A663 E359 D686 AA1F