Re: First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Richard Todd
Subject: Re: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:53:01 -0600

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:25:25PM +0100, Ludovic Courtes wrote:
> For features that are not defined in any SRFI, why not build on other
> schemers' experience rather than write whole new interfaces?  Bigloo,
> for instance, already has clean interfaces for various things including
> bit manipulation, dates, object serialization, fair threads GNU
> Pth), parsing, etc.  It would also greatly contribute to portability
> among Scheme interpreters and compilers.

This has always been in the plans.  In my original posting I mentioned
attempting ports of pieces of both bigloo and PLT Scheme.  It makes
sense, I think, to leverage the designs of libraries from other
languages as well, if there's no scheme equivalent around, and
'schemify' them.

I was suprised at how hard some of this stuff has been to port,
though...especially when a scheme has different/more macro
capabilities than guile, I have to learn a lot about the other dialect
just to understand what they're doing!

Richard