ttn's build system [was: Extended -e syntax]

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: ttn's build system [was: Extended -e syntax]
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:47:31 +0100

[ Tom: Thien-Thi Nguyen has written a buildsystem for his Guile branch
  which uses autoconf, but replaces automake, suing Guile. I intend to
  make that play well with Arch, akin to your package-framework, so
  you might be interested in this message ]

Clinton Ebadi <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been trying to get guile-pg to compile and it hasn't been
> working out too well...ttn uses his new build system stuff with
> guile-pg and they only work with Guile 1.4.x unless Guile has
> support for his extended -e syntax.
>
> As such, I copied ttn's code from Guile 1.4, changed one call
> (gh_symbol2scm into scm_str2symbol), and patched it into Guile CVS
> HEAD. Is ttn still assigning his copyright to the FSF? The copyright
> notices on all the files would make it appear so (I have sent this
> to guile-user as well as -devel so ttn will see it since he
> unsubscribed from guile-devel after he forked Guile).
>
> Is there any chance of mainline Guile using the extended -e stuff or
> accepting patches to use ttn's nice build system and extended
> guile-config stuff? I am willing to chunk out anything from Guile
> 1.4.x that would be useful to the official Guile branch if there
> aren't any copyright issues / the patches will be accepted.

Have you already started this? I'm especially interested in the
build-system, and will break that out into a separate piece, since I
intend to use it for the Guile-Library thing and possible at a later
point in Guile-Gnome. I can't wait for this being perhaps eventually
integrated into Guile (I suspect this might take *some* time to
happen). So if you haven't started tackling "porting" the build
system, it *might* make sense to wait for what I'll produce, which
will be a piece of software building on Guile, but not integrated into
guile-tools. This means just shipping it with Guile in the future,
making guile-tools tie it in, could be an alternative of a direct
port, avoiding duplicate effort.

Cheers, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Any technology not indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
   -- Terry Pratchett