to serialize/deserialize closures; and multithreading

From: Nicholas Paul Johnson
Subject: to serialize/deserialize closures; and multithreading
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:19:52 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,

I am writing a program in C which will make heavy use of the guile
scheme interpreter, and want to use the SCM_ interface as opposed to the
GH_ interface.  two questions:

1. If I have a scheme value that is a closure, is there any way that I can
serialize this closure (from C code) into a form that it can be
deserialized back into a SCM closure variable (again, by C code)?  I can
assume for this question that both ends of the serial line are running the
same version of gnu guile and my software, but cannot assume that both
ends are running on the same computer architecture.  Would it instead
only be possible for me to transfer closures as their scheme source.

2. Is it possible to have disjoint instances of the scheme interpreter
running in the same process but in different threads?  I.E. If my C
program was multithreaded, could more than one of the threads create a
guile/scheme interpretter?  If so, would I have to use the initialization
functions more than once.

Also, does anyone know of a good documentation of the SCM_ API?  I've not
been able to find one.

--
Nicholas Paul Johnson
address@hidden