Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:31:23 +0100

It might be worth trying to integrate the minor code changes and instructions that I've worked out for building using MS Visual C on Windows.

However,

- as I understand it, this would need a DOS build script that is independent of the existing configure stuff

- I'm worried that I may be misunderstanding the benefit of building using MS Visual C, and should be focussing on building with MINGW instead.

On the second point, can anyone comment whether there is any practical difference between a Guile DLL built with MSVC and one built with MINGW? The two points that seem useful to me from MSVC-building are (i) direct use of the MS C runtime; (ii) MSVC debugging information. But it may be that MINGW could give me these as well.

Regards,
     Neil