Re: threads in 1.7.1

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: threads in 1.7.1
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:54:41 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>    (I'm not sure of the rationale for dropping coop threads;
> personally I'm a fan of them.)

I, too, am a fan of coop threads.  In Guile, however, there was little
difference between coop threads and preemptive threads for a Scheme
program: even the coop threads could get preempted at any time in a
Scheme program.  The advantage of coop threads was on the C level,
where they made thread-safeness easier.  I'm quite sure now that we
can handle the C level for real concurrent threads, so the advantages
of coop threads mostly disappear.

The switch to POSIX threads was mostly motivated by compatability, and
to avoid maintaining a thread implementation of our own.  Guile should
be useable together with other code that used POSIX threads.  If you
want to have coop threads, you would need to use a POSIX thread
implementation that is coop.