Re: The future: accessing vectors, arrays, etc from C

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: The future: accessing vectors, arrays, etc from C
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 06:52:36 -0500

   From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:04:28 +0000

   However, I wonder if perhaps we should have a more explicit and
   public policy on the level of change that is (i) acceptable and (ii)
   likely, from one major release to the next, so that developers know
   what to expect?

probably it is better to simply accurately label what is released,
than to restrict what is released.  if the changes are major, bump
the major version number.  otherwise, the discrepency between label
and goods inside the package just introduces confusion and mistrust.

along w/ this approach would have to be an acceptance that not everyone
is interested in following the change in lockstep.  historically, that
understanding has not been easy for guile maintainers to muster in word
or deed, however.  perhaps you will be able to break new ground here.

basically, it is fine to "wander around the design space", as long as
the activity is not misrepresented (or self-mistaken) as leadership.

thi