Re: Fetch-and-store for PowerPC... and more!

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Fetch-and-store for PowerPC... and more!
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:48:12 +1100

> I don't think so since `mem', as an address, isn't changed.

Yep, I meant the contents.

> `memory' denotes the reservation bit I guess).

No, memory normally means any crazy fetch or store, so gcc won't defer
storing stuff and wont hold stuff in registers across your asm.

"*mem" is the only actual change, so expressing that only it is
fetched/stored should give better code.  Though the actual current
usages are simple enough that it probably doesn't make any difference.