Re: PHP to GUILE

From: Zeeshan Ali
Subject: Re: PHP to GUILE
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:57:07 +0300

Hello,

> >   Yeah! and you can have a look at the source code of xchat-guile to
> > see how exactly thats done:
> > http://piipiip.net/~zeenix/xchat-guile-0.2.tar.gz
>
> I took a look. Conclusion: it's a mess.

     Your conclusion is based on your ignorance.

> Why? Easy: guile.so is installed in /usr/lib/xchat/plugins while
> plugin-system.scm in installed iin /usr/share/guile/site/xchat-guile.
> Ok, if it's in /usr/share/guile/site/xchat-guile then it's guile
> extension, right ? Sorry, but no:
> guile> (use-modules (xchat-guile plugin-system))
>
> Backtrace:

    Please at least read the log yourself first, it's not (xchat-guile
plugin-system) that guile is unable to find but the xchat's main
module that is defined inside the xchat plugin, writen in C.

> And in this case it's easy to move plugin-system.scm to
> /usr/lib/xchat/plugins (where it belongs) since guile DOES have
> adjustable %load-path . GUILE does NOT have something similar for
> native libraries. That's the problem.

    plugin-system is NOT an xchat plugin but a guile module that the
xchat-guile plugin uses. Since it's a guile module, IMHO it doesn't
belong in directory for xchat plugins.

    Two more points:

1. I forgot that xchat-guile doesn't load the plugins as modules
anymore, so i am really sorry for directing you to a wrong turn.

2. Since guile doesn't allow you to 'unplug' modules on the run, I had
to do some trick to make it work, which makes it a bit complicated,
but it's not a mess. :)

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali