Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:20:35 +0000

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> What advantage is this over putting a symlink in /usr/share/guile/site
> to point to this alternate location?

Nothing really compelling, perhaps, but...

- some OSs don't have symlinks (i.e. Windows)

- the symlink approach doesn't work if a package installed with one
  prefix wants to install (database mysql) and a different package
  with a different prefix wants to install (database postgres)

- in my view, installing an init.d file (under $sysconfdir) feels less
  polluting of the distribution-managed part of the filesystem than
  putting a symlink into /usr/share/guile/site.

> What is the wherever/my/scheme/files/are directory likely to be?
> Guile library packages wouldn't be sprayed randomly across all four
> corners of the disk would they?

In practice I would guess not.  Most distribution-managed packages
would go into /usr/share/guile, and most home-built packages into
/usr/local/share/guile, I'd guess.  What is your concern, though?

     Neil