Re: Another load path idea

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Another load path idea
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:57:25 +0100

Hi,

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> I think it will be enough to,
>
> 1. Add /usr/local into the default %load-path.
>
> 2. Put a note in the manual inviting package builders to augment
>    %load-path further if they wish, eg. for /opt.  (By patching
>    boot-9.scm I would think.)
>
> 3. Put a note in the manual encouraging the use of /site by sysadmins,
>    but with an invitation to extend %load-path if they've got good
>    reason for violating the usual setup.

As I understand it, the whole point of this discussion is about
providing mechanisms to allow the initial value of `%load-path' to be
easily and cleanly customized, i.e., not by "patching boot-9.scm".  ;-)

Then there is another question which is: _who_ performs this
customization and _when_?  Neil (and I) initially suggested that this
could be done automatically by packages themselves at installation-time.
You suggest, OTOH, that this should be done manually by the sysadmin,
after they installed a package in some "unusual" path.

In either case, we still need (i) a config file holding the default
value of `%load-path', (ii) a script to manipulate that file (i.e., to
add/remove directories from it).

Thanks,
Ludovic.