Re: undocumented function repl

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: undocumented function repl
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:29:41 -0500

Hi Neil,

Neil Jerram wrote:
Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi y'all,
I just ran across the function 'repl' ( #<procedure repl (read evaler
print)>), which doesn't have a docstring, and doesn't appear in the
manual (well, ok fine, the procedure index of the manual).  I'm using
1.8.

Does this function produce a normal repl?  If so, how?  If not, then
what does it do?  Also, perhaps we should either not export it, or
else document it in the manual.  I would volunteer to document it, but
clearly, I don't understand it.

I would say that it shouldn't be exported.  It's just a part of the
implementation of top-repl.

Sounds good. Should top-repl be documented in the manual and/or with a docstring? It is not in the procedure index, which I presume to mean it is not in the manual. I've read the entire 1.6 manual, but not the 1.8 manual, so I don't know for sure that it isn't documented. Its purpose is fairly obvious, but its existence was unknown to me until just now. It also doesn't seem to appear in the index to R5RS.

There seem to be a number of repl related procedures that are exported. Should all of them be available? (Obviously some of the procedures returned by (apropos "repl") are not repl related, like string-replace... I've removed them.)

guile> (apropos "repl")
(guile): repl   #<procedure repl (read evaler print)>
(guile): scm-style-repl #<procedure scm-style-repl ()>
(guile): repl-reader    #<procedure #f (prompt)>
(guile): error-catching-repl    #<procedure error-catching-repl (r e p)>
(guile): set-repl-prompt!       #<procedure set-repl-prompt! (v)>
(guile): scm-repl-prompt
(guile): assert-repl-verbosity  #<procedure assert-repl-verbosity (v)>
(guile): scm-repl-verbose
(guile): assert-repl-print-unspecified #<procedure assert-repl-print-unspecified (v)>
(guile): top-repl       #<procedure top-repl ()>
(guile): scm-repl-print-unspecified
(guile): assert-repl-silence    #<procedure assert-repl-silence (v)>
(guile): scm-repl-silent

Regards,
Jon