Re: Gmp now working, but number.c:147 isinf declared implicitly.

From: Hugh Sasse
Subject: Re: Gmp now working, but number.c:147 isinf declared implicitly.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:46:02 +0000 (WET)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Kevin Ryde wrote:

> Hugh Sasse <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
>
> That's designed to force all users to be developers :-(.

Should that be in the *release* then?  Prior to release definitely
makes sense.

> >> numbers.c: In function 'xisinf':
> >> numbers.c:147: warning: implicit declaration of function 'isinf'
>
> You might be able to just stick in a prototype,

Tried to do that, it still complained about it.
>                                                 or alternately just
> "./configure --disable-error-on-warning".

Hmmmm, I'll give that a go.

> > I can't get it to pickup the definition from the Sun Workshop includes.
>
> Dunno if gcc is meant to do that, probably not.

I pointed -I to the appropriate place, but no joy.

> > The sun man page for isinf claims that it is available in sunmath.h
> > which we don't have in /usr/include.
>
> We could include that (when available) if you think it'd do any good.

Well, I don't understand why it is documented in `man isinf` and yet
we don't have it.

> Otherwise if you think there's a function but no prototype we could
> put a prototype in (when not otherwise provided).

that sounds like the best approach to me.  There is a definition to
be picked up when one is not available, so this seems sensible.

> Perhaps there's a c99 mode for the headers that would give isinf and
> isnan, but I'd expect that to be more painful than workarounds for the
> default mode.

I still haven't found a good source of info for C99.  The K&R book
was updated for ANSI C but not C99 yet.

> > autoconf configure.in > configure
> > with
> > autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.60
>
> We're probably on 2.61 by now, though that shouldn't make a

I have spent two weeks updating GNU stuff.  This insistance on
the absolute latest versions of everything for a build is immensely
frustrating.

> difference.  You might check you can regenerate without any changes
> before attempting some.  You probably need gnu m4, though I'd expect

GNU M4 1.4.8

Written by Rene' Seindal.

> autoconf to complain if it's only got the system one.
>
> PS. bug-guile is list to use for bugs (ie. something not working).

Yes, but I haven't actually established this is a bug yet.  I may
have missed some detailed step that I should have taken, to make the
definition come out correctly after all the macro work.

        Thank you,
        Hugh