Re: Compiling guile on mingw32

From: Cesar Strauss
Subject: Re: Compiling guile on mingw32
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:29:54 -0300

Andreas Røsdal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile guile 1.8.1 for the mingw32 platform on Windows.
> When running configure, I get this error message:
>

> checking for lt_dlinit in -lltdl... no
> configure: error: libltdl not found.  See README.
>

> However, I have compiled and installed libtool. (libtool-1.5.22)
> So I commented out the check for lltdl in configure, and ran it again.
> Then I got the following error message:
>
> checking for gethostname... no
> checking whether sethostname is declared... no
> checking for library containing crypt... no
> checking for cexp... yes
> checking for clog... yes
> checking for carg... yes
> checking whether csqrt is usable... no, glibc 2.3 bug
> checking for __gmpz_init in -lgmp... no
> configure: error: GNU MP not found, see README
>
> Then I compiled and installed GNU MP (gmp-4.2.1).
> However, I the above still occurs after installing GNU MP.
>
> So it seems that configure is not able to find the two above error
> messages. I have also tried guile-core.unstable-20070429, and get the
> same problems there. Has anyone successfully been able to compile guile
> on mingw32?
>

>  - Andreas

Hello, Andreas

I was able to compile guile on mingw32.

First, you should use the guile-core-1.8-20070429.tar.gz snapshot, or
use "cvs" to download the code in the 1.8 branch. The unstable branch is
not mingw32 compatible, at the moment.

Then, make sure you configured libtool, gmp and guile with

./configure --prefix=$(cd /mingw && pwd -W)

This will install the libraries at the right location in the MinGW
compiler tree and allow guile to find its data files at run-time.

Also, add to the guile configure line:

--without-libiconv-prefix --without-libintl-prefix

due to a problem in the MinGW gettext support.

Hope this helps,
Cesar