Re: state of Guile GC

From: Julian Graham
Subject: Re: state of Guile GC
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:50:42 -0400

[I'm always forgetting to CC the list...]

Hi Ludovic,

> BTW, did you notice a significant change compared to your previous Guile
> version?  Were you actually using `scm_block_gc ()' before?

No, I wasn't -- I actually found out about scm_block_gc by googling
"Guile performance."  It came up on a mailing list where some Gnucash
developers were fussing over their build.

> Maybe the `GUILE_MIN_YIELD_{1,2}' environment variables can help, as I
> noted in a recent post.  Did you try playing with them?
>
> But that's not really targeting the "application authors", rather the
> end-user...

Actually, I just tried -- boosting those values actually cuts down on
GC thrashing considerably.  Thanks!  (Plus, I don't actually think
it's out of the question to have the application set those variables
before initializing Guile.)

> Hope this helps,
> Ludovic.

It does, a great deal!  Thanks so much for the information.