Re: modules and version numbers

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: Re: modules and version numbers
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:04:30 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:
>>   I am thinking about adding a version number to my modules;
>I documented the guile-gnome strategy here:
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gnome/docs/tutorial/getting-started/#getting-started

Thanks, special versioned modules are tempting... If I
allow parallel installations:

${sitedir}/gee/<full-version>/...
${sitedir}/gee/<other-full-version>/...

then there are two options:

* to use GUILE_LOAD_PATH explicitly
* to load first a special module (gee <full-version>)

then in each versioned module hierarchy I can have
(modname-1) and (modname-2) to support new
and old interfaces, or simply (modname).

I think that I can set up this installation layout
along with the special modules as a "configure"
option. It makes more difficult to write Autoconf
modules to be used in downstream packages,
though.

As I understand it, even pkg-config wants versioned
meta file names on its command line; on my
system there are 3 versions of xaw installed and
their meta files are "xaw6", "xaw7" and "xaw8";
if I try "pkg-config xaw --libs" it says to go
fly my kite.

So I have to write my own file system inspection
script to find the available versions of a package.
:-(

--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"