Re: Does anyone actually use threads with guile?

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: Does anyone actually use threads with guile?
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:35:39 -0500

Hi Linas,

Linas Vepstas wrote:
Does anyone actually use threads with guile?
Or am I the first to do so?

I once wrote an irc chat bot in guile 1.8 (a pretty crappy one, though) that used threads. I never had any trouble with it, but I didn't do any really advanced stuff (nothing that needed synchronization or critical sections) either. Also, it was entirely a guile program, I didn't do any coding in C for it, which of course opens up a whole nother can of worms.

I also have a kinda slick stream implementation which I found particularly useful for multithreaded programs, if you're interested. You can at any time split off a new reference to the stream, and the new reference will only contain objects that have not yet been examined by any code. This is useful for when several threads all need to read from the same input, and input-processors may be added at any time (you don't want them to have to slog through all the old input, nor keep it around in memory, of course).
Regards,
Jon