Re: Is Guile Useful to a Scheme Noob

From: Gour
Subject: Re: Is Guile Useful to a Scheme Noob
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:33:45 +0100

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:05:49 +0000
>>>>>> "Neil" == Neil Jerram <address@hidden> wrote:

Neil> True.  But you should be able to work around that just by
Neil> changing [ and ] back to ( and ).

OK.

Neil> (Personally I dislike those square brackets, and it seems to me an
Neil> unhelpful editorial choice to use them in TSPL.  I don't recall
Neil> my copy having them; perhaps yours is a newer edition.)

Well, it's my mistake. The choice is pointing at 2nd ed. while I've
started with the latest (4th ed.) thinking that "newer is better". :-(

Of course, you're right, the example with square brackets is not
present either in 2nd nor in 3rd edition of the book.

Neil> For learning the language, and tweaking gnucash, yes, I'd say
Neil> guile-1.8 is the better option.

It seems that it won't be so easy to add support in gnucash
considering that 2.0 is big jump in guile's evolution?

Neil> For all the options apart from Geiser, see `Using Guile in Emacs'
Neil> in the manual.  For Geiser I guess you don't need help, as you
Neil> say you've already found out about it.

Well, I've only found 'Geiser', but not installed it (yet), so I'm
open for relevant tips from experienced Guile-ers what is good
major-mode for Emacs, although at the moment I got on #scheme hint
just to use paredit and not some major-mode. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6