Re: Plotting in Guile

From: Joel James Adamson
Subject: Re: Plotting in Guile
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:59:33 -0400

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () Joel James Adamson <address@hidden>
> () Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:43:49 -0400
>
>    I just have to figure out how to use pipes...
>
> Have you looked at the friendly manual?

Not YET.  I was just reiterating that I'm a newbie to anything involving
IPC and therefore don't know /in general/ how pipes work.  I'm sure that
once I understand how to manipulate pipes programmatically in the GNU
System that the Guile manual will be perfectly clear to me.

Here's another idea that I had, and you more-experienced blokes can tell
me if this is totally nutty:

A small C program could act as a daemon that feeds instructions to
GNUPLOT through a pipe, but the daemon could be accessed through a
socket.  My client (Guile) program can do all its calculating and then
pass the data through the socket.  This way I could still (by sending
the right message) interact with GNUPLOT after an initial plot is made.
However, that seems like going back to my current mechanism:

iterating program -> file -> GNUPLOT

The problem is that I haven't yet figured out how to get GNUPLOT to
accept *data* through stdin.  It will take commands, and this is clearly
documented.  I will pose this to a GNUPLOT list.

Plotutils on the other hand, was set up for exactly this kind of
programming, so I may throw my weight behind that.

Thanks,

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson