Re: searching book tips

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: searching book tips
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:13:03 +0200

On Sat, Aug 28 2010, address@hidden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We learn C# at school... and I'd like to write beautiful free
> software. However, I'm still a bloody beginner. So could you give me
> please some nice book tips about C, C++ and of course Guile? It would
> be sooo awesome.

For C, i'd recommend Kernnigan and Ritchie's classic "The C programming
language" [0], and Hanson's "C Interfaces and Implementations" [1].

For Scheme, and programming in general, i wholeheartedly second the SICP
recommendation (the videos are great fun too). You can also take a look
at my scheme bookshelf [2].

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language_(book)
[1] http://sites.google.com/site/cinterfacesimplementations/
[2] http://programming-musings.org/2007/01/31/a-scheme-bookshelf/

HTH,
jao
--
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
 -Confucius, philosopher and teacher (c. 551-478 BCE)