Re: pipe buffering

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: pipe buffering
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:17:08 +0100

Aidan Gauland <address@hidden> writes:

> Then I have a sexp for debugging, which shows that `expect' is getting
> one character at a time from the telnet subprocess, since it only
> prints out "Tmatch", instead of "Trying [IP address]..."

Well, as the manual says:

 -- Macro: expect clause ...
     [...]   The procedures
     are called in turn after each character is read from the port,
     [...]

     The test is successful if the procedure returns a non-false value.

Your lambda returns *unspecified*, which counts as a non-false value.
So the whole (expect ...) invocation completes after reading just one
character.

     Neil