Re: Is this a bug?

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: Is this a bug?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:24:58 +0100

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:
> `load' is optional in the R5RS, and it has been removed entirely from
> the R6RS, which was designed with compilers in mind.  Guile allows the
> use of `load', but its compiler assumes that undeclared identifiers are
> top-level _variables_, not syntax.  This seems a reasonable compromise.

While I more than agree with the compromise, perhaps a note could be
added to the documentation given 'load' has a different behaviour at the
REPL and in modules. In a module, we expect the above; at the REPL, we
want the syntax-definitions available. Perhaps something like

"Since 'load' happens at run-time, syntax definitions will have no
effect on existing procedures, although they will be available at the

Ian Price

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"