Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support

From: Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras
Subject: Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:25:17 -0300

Do you plan to write everything on guile? is it possible?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Mike Gran <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello-

start by offering a release of a hack I made.  But this isn't my
official hack: it is just a building block.

Zile-on-Guile is a version of GNU Zile that uses GNU Guile as an
extension language.  The original GNU Zile was a small editor in the
style of GNU Emacs and it has its own tiny embedded Lisp interpreter.
I've replaced that interpreter with Guile.

You can find the download at

https://github.com/downloads/spk121/zile/zile-on-guile-0.0.tar.gz

This is a 0.0 release, so if it even builds on anyone else's machine,
I'd be totally surprised.

You can find the Git repository at

https://github.com/spk121/zile

The Guile extension can be accessed this way.

-- Pressing Alt+C brings up a REPL.  You can do all your standard REPL
   things.

-- In the REPL, one can create and bind new commands.  Define a
   procedure of zero arguments, export it, and then bind it to a key
   using 'set-key'.

   For example:

     (define (blammo)
       (insert "blammo"))
     (export blammo)
     (set-key "\\F9" 'blammo)

   This creates a function that inserts the world "blammo" at the mark
   whenever <F9> is pressed.

-- And, if really you wanted to, you could edit your current buffer in
   the REPL

   For example:

      (insert "here is some text")
      (forward-char)