Re: on coding a portable R6RS package supporting Guile and its FFI

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: on coding a portable R6RS package supporting Guile and its FFI
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:36:04 +0100

On Tue 05 Feb 2013 20:29, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     On Thu 17 Jan 2013 11:53, Marco Maggi <address@hidden>
>     writes:
>     >   The  other  Scheme   implementations  using   a  non-compacting
>     >   garbage collector
>
> Do we want to guarantee that our garbage collector will always be
> non-compacting, or force major interface changes if it is? (I realize
> we've already taken out smob mark procedures, but this is in some ways
> even harder to add back.)

Smob mark procedures are still supported.  Changing the GC would be
quite difficult -- we would need to progress to the point that we had
significantly less C.  That would be years away if it comes.  Anyway, we
could have a compacting collector and still allow fixed-position
objects:

  http://www.scheme.com/csug8/smgmt.html#./smgmt:h3

Andy
--