Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 21:01:19 +0200

On 2018-08-25 19:16, Joshua Branson wrote:
Hello,

Hello and welcome Joshua

I'm a recent college grad, and I'm trying to get into programming.  I
figured I'd learn a little bit of C, so that I can play with guile and
C.

You can play with Guile without much C knowledge and I dare to say that you need little of C with things like guile-bytestructures or nyacc's ffi-helper
to use the full power of GNU Guile.

And to add to that, the trend in the VM is to reduce the count of C lines of code.

I suppose that I'm a visual learner,

You can try [0][1]

[0] https://libfive.com/studio/
[1] https://dthompson.us/projects/chickadee.html

and that probably helped me learn
how to make websites.

Well, then I would recommend you look at cuirass project just over the rainbow in guix land [2][3]

[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/
[3] http://berlin.guixsd.org/

I have projects of my own but they are not easy to get started.

Have look at this project https://github.com/a-guile-mind/azul.scm it's project of mine
it's small, it implements a minimal terminal based editor.

Is there a programming resource for
userspace/kernel software

what do you mean by kernel software?

as good as w3schools.com?

You might not be aware that w3schools has a bad reputation of being "loosy". That said I find it convenient as quick and dirty reference. I recommend to check mozilla developer network aka. mdn
when it comes to web stuff.

What do you want to make?

Thanks,

Joshua