Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 09:30:42 -0400

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I've heard about chickadee!  I've tried to install it before, but I
>> haven't been successful yet.  Perhaps I'll have to try again.
>
> What's the issue?  Please post a backtrace.
> I can chickadee flawlessly here, maybe I can help.

I can also try to help.  I should make a new release with all the
latest code, maybe the experience will be better since some things
were tweaked that were causing problems on certain computers. (There's
API breakage, though, be warned!)

> And by the way, chickadee is an awesome piece of software: it is such a
> refreshing video game programming experience.

That's good to hear!  BTW, I am currently working on a small game
engine built on top of Chickadee.  My intent with Chickadee was to
give people all of the building blocks to make games with Guile, but
without strapping them to an opinionated engine. So, Starling is going
to be one of those opinionated engines! The core abstractions are
inspired by Godot and Python's Cocos2D which I used many years ago;
it's 2D only for the time being; it uses GOOPS heavily (this may or
may not sound good to you!); and it has a built-in developer mode that
provides a REPL server, game loop error debugger, and live asset
reloading (for images, sounds, all that non-code stuff).  Stay tuned!

- Dave