Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 22:54:15 +0200

Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:

> Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Is there a programming resource for
>>> userspace/kernel software
>>
>> what do you mean by kernel software?
>
> My short term goal right now is to be able to write GNU/Hurd translators
> in guile.  My long term goal is to be a GNU/Hurd developer.

That’s cool! Several years ago I worked on the Pythong bindings for
translators (though I did not get as far as I’d have liked) and it’s
great to see paths converge again!

The common lisp bindings had some pretty nifty tools, so you might find
inspiration there. You can make a lot of difference with relatively
little effort.

One aspect in which where developing Guile is much more enjoyable than
programming in Python is that once you get used to using the info
documentation (i.e. via Emacs) you can work without googling, and a
full-text search in structured, relevant information beats a Google
search — even if Google leads you to Stackoverflow.

(for all those unfamiliar with the Hurd: Here’s a writeup about the
technical advantages of the Hurd:
https://www.draketo.de/light/english/free-software/some-technical-advantages-of-the-hurd
 )

Best wishes,