guix-devel

Perl modules

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Perl modules
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 23:17:04 +0100

Hello,

it looks like I have stumbled upon an enormous dependency tree:

For kdelibs, I would like soprano;
for soprano, I would like redland;
for redland, I need rasqal;
for some tests of rasqal to work, I need perl-xml-dom;
for perl-xml-dom, I need libwww-perl;
for libwww-perl, I need a lot of packages:
Warning: prerequisite Encode::Locale 0 not found.
Warning: prerequisite File::Listing 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTML::Entities 0 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTML::HeadParser 0 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Cookies 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Daemon 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Date 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Negotiate 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Request 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Request::Common 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Response 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite HTTP::Status 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite LWP::MediaTypes 6 not found.
Warning: prerequisite Net::HTTP 6.04 not found.
Warning: prerequisite URI 1.10 not found.
Warning: prerequisite URI::Escape 0 not found.
Warning: prerequisite WWW::RobotRules 6 not found.

This leads me to the question: How should the packages containing perl
modules be named, and in which files should they be defined?

So far, there are the following packages in xml.scm:
perl-xml-parser containing XML-Parser
perl-xml-parser-perlsax containing libxml-perl
perl-xml-simple containing XML-Simple

The second one is definitely a misnomer; I was looking for
XML::Parser::PerlSAX, and a search led me to the documentation page
  http://search.cpan.org/~kmacleod/libxml-perl-0.08/lib/XML/Parser/PerlSAX.pm
which is just one of the modules of libxml-perl
  http://search.cpan.org/~kmacleod/libxml-perl-0.08/

If we follow our standard naming scheme, then the packages should be called
xml-parser, libxml-perl and xml-simple. Notice that two of them do not
contain the word "perl". Should we add "perl" in front then, similarly to
what we do with python modules? How about libxml-perl? Do we keep it as such,
or should we then call it perl-libxml-perl for consistency?

Concerning the files, maybe all perl modules should go into perl.scm?

Your opinions are welcome.

Andreas