guix-devel

Re: Symlinks to generic names

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Symlinks to generic names
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 18:47:07 +0100

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 05:42:01PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
     On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 02:40:39PM +0100, John Darrington wrote:
     > python3 -> python

     For python, the binary python is provided by python-2.7.6. The binary
     python3 (and python3.3) is provided by python-3.3.3. And there is
     python-wrapper, which installs python-3.3.3 and creates symlinks
     python -> python3 etc..

     So for python, there is nothing to do - if you need python3, you already
     have it.

It seems that whilst guix's python2 package installs a link from python2 ->
python
this does not happen for python3.

     Generally, we intend to be closer to upstream than debian, for instance;
     also to keep maintenance low. So I would be very cautious about adding
     symbolic links.

Minimising downstream modifications is certainly a noble goal.  The thing
is if we refuse to (say) link lex to flex, then every package which calls "lex"
has to be modified, thus defeating that goal.

Obviously the best option would be to get upstream to adopt our patches.  Do
we have any programme to actually make them aware or our patches?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3