guix-devel

Re: guix package: error: build failed: unable to fork: Invalid argument

From: Sree Harsha Totakura
Subject: Re: guix package: error: build failed: unable to fork: Invalid argument
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 22:42:14 +0100

On 02/18/2014 05:29 PM, David Knight wrote:
> it downloads about 277M of files (up to guile-2.0.9.tar.xz) into
> /nix/store then errors with "guix package: error: build failed: unable
> to fork: Invalid argument".  Rerunning the command gives the same error
> message.

It is common to install those many files.  They come from bootstrap
packages and are required.

> The same error shows on two different distros (LFS and Gentoo on i686),
> and with both Guix 0.5 and cloned from git.  Guix 0.5 'make check'
> passes all tests, and the git version from today passes all tests except
> 'topologically-sorted, more difficult' in store.scm.  Other guix package
> commands such a --search= and --list-available seem to work as expected.

I am suspecting that this is a problem with you kernel configuration.
Do you have the namespaces available (the following options) in your config?
CONFIG_NAMESPACES=y
CONFIG_UTS_NS=y
CONFIG_IPC_NS=y
CONFIG_USER_NS=y