guix-devel

The plan for 0.7

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: The plan for 0.7
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 19:11:40 +0200

Hello, Guix!

Did you know that April marked the 2nd anniversary of the first Guix
commit?  Time flies!

I’d like to release 0.7 by the end of June.  The main focus for me has
been to prepare a usable bootable system, and 0.7 will provide a
bootable USB disk image.

We’re close to having a usable system, for those of us who have small
requirements and can cope with eating their own dog food.  ;-)
There are several ways you can help:

  • Run ‘guix system vm build-aux/hydra/demo-os.scm’, try it, fiddle
    with the ‘operating-system’ declaration, report any issues, see
    what’s missing for you, ask questions, discuss the implementation, etc.

  • Add definitions for services you’d like to see and are currently
    missing (info "(guix) Defining Services").

  • Add packages that are important to you.

  • Improve the ‘linux-libre’ package so it builds more modules and such.

  • Provide nice gnu pictures that can be used as the GRUB background,
    the X login screen, and things like that.  :-)

For 0.7 there will also be a bunch of updates (the ‘core-updates’
branch.)  If time permits, I’d like to prepare (guix packages) so we can
starting using g-expressions in the ‘arguments’ field of packages and
remove the labels in the ‘inputs’ fields.

Thoughts, comments?

Happy hacking!

Ludo’.