guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 10:58:39 +0200

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> OK, one more correction - the ahci module is loaded and HDD detected,
>>> but /dev/sdf is not created. There is just sda to sdd..
>>
>> Once the USB installation is booted, it’s actually udev which takes the
>> responsibility of loading modules like AHCI (the problem David reported
>> is in the *installed* system, where the AHCI modules have to be
>> available in the initrd.)
>>
>> So there really are this many storage devices in the machine?
>
> Yes and no - there is a USB reader with many interfaces. They are
> reorder with this kernel and sda is now sdf. sda is the USB flash
> drive with the installation.

Sure, but is there an actual USB storage device plugged in each on of
these interfaces?

>> Does running ‘udevadm trigger’ helps detect any missing device?
>
> Tried that before - no.

Maybe there’s just nothing to detect, no?

I don’t really understand what the problem is.  What makes you think it
should detect sdf?  What’s the target device node?

> After a few mknods, I ended with "guix system init.." at Not enought
> space

Before it started copying stuff?

> as there is only 1GB of RAM and it seems the install fetches too much
> packages into ramdisk. Why is it not using the target file system
> already?

Hmm, it’s actually initially populating the local store, on the RAM
disk, right.  I agree that’s a problem we should address.

However, most stuff are already in the store, unless the configuration
being built uses many more packages, or use Xorg and related stuff.  Is
it what’s happening?

Thanks,
Ludo’.