guix-devel

Re: emacs package

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: emacs package
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:04:37 +0200

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Federico Beffa <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> I've installed guix 0.7 and its emacs package (and updated with "guix
>>> pull" and "guix package -u"). When I start emacs I get the following
>>> message:
>>>
>>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>>> GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings
>>> will not be saved or shared with other applications.
>>
>> It looks like a mere warning, not a fatal error, right?
>>

> Correct, it is not a fatal error.
>
>> FWIW I don’t see it on the whole Guix system here.
>>
>>> I'm on Debian 7.6 with the packages libcanberra-gtk-module and
>>> libcanberra-gtk3-module. I've noticed that guix provides a libcanberra
>>> package. Should I install that one as well? If yes, shouldn't the
>>> emacs package install it automatically? Is it possible to make emacs
>>> find the system installed libcanberra library?
>>
>> Using the host distro’s libcanberra would likely fail in unexpected
>> ways.
>>
>> Perhaps the solution would be to add libcanberra as an input to the
>> ‘emacs’ package, in emacs.scm.  Would you like to try that?
>>

> I will try out.
>
> Regards,
> Fede

Currently the libcanberra package does not build. It can't find the source:

starting download of
`/gnu/store/n9g0vd6hdka11s7zp3lbqkvyiw99hwzb-libcanberra-0.30.tar.xz'
from
`http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/libcanberra/libcanberra-0.30.tar.xz'...
ERROR: download failed
"http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/libcanberra/libcanberra-0.30.tar.xz";