guix-devel

Re: Trying to install Guix with Qemu

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: Trying to install Guix with Qemu
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:17:05 -0500

* On 2014 30 Sep 01:59 -0500, Ernesto Celis wrote:
> I know this thread is about qemu, but as you said you are a VitrualBox
> user, it may be interesting to you.
>
> Last weekend I was able to install Guix 0.7 on virtualBox with the USB
> image provided by Guix developers. I put my notes on gitorious.
>
> https://gitorious.org/ecelis-guix/hackathon
>
> Check the Changelog file for some problems.

Nice work, Ernesto.

I actually have a larger hard drive on order for my laptop so I can try
the GNU System w/Guix on bare metal.  There will be some issues such as
the Intel wireless hardware, but I also have an Atheros based USB
adapter from Think Penguin I can try.  If nothing else I'll have far
more drive space for VM disks in the Debian partition.  :-)

Also, your instructions for installing Guix on Slackware is interesting
to me.  With Debian moving to systemd, I am looking back at Slackware
and now GNU should systemd become intolerable.  As Slackware has a
rudimentary concept of package management, Guix seems like a good fit.
At this time this is all a fun experiment for me.

Thanks!

- Nate