guix-devel

Re: GUIX 0.7 under QEMU/KVM with virtio

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: GUIX 0.7 under QEMU/KVM with virtio
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 19:29:16 -0400

Hello,

On 10/05/2014 08:29 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
I haven’t tried agetty, but it seems to have a hard-coded default login
program of “/bin/login”, which doesn’t exist here.  Could you try
invoking it with -l $(guix build shadow)/bin/login ?

Alternately you could try adding a mingetty service to the
configuration:

    (operating-system
      (services (cons (mingetty-service "ttyS0")
                      %base-services)))

I still can't get serial console to work, perhaps needs more fidgeting.

Did you try agetty with -l as suggested above?

Yes. Same as before - it exists after a timeout of few seconds.

Trying "mingetty ttyS0" from the command line fails with:
     ttyS0: no controlling tty: Operation not permitted

Is mingetty running as root here?  If it is, could you strace it to see
exactly what returns EPERM?

Yes. Running as root.

I don't have "strace" installed - how do I install it ? (I'm very new to guix).

Thanks,
 - Assaf