guix-devel

Re: Problems with downloading from https

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Problems with downloading from https
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:44:48 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2014-10-27 19:24 +0300) wrote:

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Why not just allow gnutls and other packages to install guile modules in
>>> a site dir (without version) and to augment GUILE_LOAD_PATH with it as I
>>> suggested at
>>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-10/msg00333.html>?
>>
>> In my opinion, this is the right fix.  There is plenty of Guile code
>> that works on both Guile 1.8 and Guile 2.0, so there's no need to put
>> Scheme modules in versioned directories.  We provide 'cond-expand' when
>> it's really needed, after all.
>
> A problem is that it would make it impossible to install the 1.8/2.1 and
> the 2.0 version of something in the same profile.
>
> Currently it’s possible to install both ‘python’ and ‘python2’ in the
> same profile, as well as ‘python-foo’ and ‘python2-foo’.

[...]

But currently it's not possible to install 2 (or more) packages with the
same name.  So a user can't have guile 2.0 and guile 1.8 in the same
profile.  The same thing with python: there is no ‘python2’ package.
Both python packages have “python” name and can't be installed in the
same profile, as far as I understand.

--
Alex