guix-devel

Re: /etc/profile and .zshrc skeleton

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: /etc/profile and .zshrc skeleton
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 21:35:48 +0100

宋文武 <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

>> One last thing: I think CPATH and LIBRARY_PATH (and eventually
>> additional search path variables) should remain in /etc/profile.
> I'll prefer use `guix environment' for dev, just install applications to
> profile.

I agree that ‘guix environment’ is usually the preferred approach.

Yet, I thought it may be better to keep the other approach working out
of the box by default, to avoid unnecessary user frustration.

Thinking more, there are a number of other search path environment
variables that would be candidate for /etc/profile: GUILE_LOAD_PATH,
PKG_CONFIG_PATH, MANPATH, PERL5LIB, etc.  But perhaps some of them are
better left handled by the user?  How would we draw the line between
those that /etc/profile defines by default, and those that users have to
define by themselves?

Thanks,
Ludo’.