guix-devel

Re: Preliminary 'wip-armhf' branch pushed

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Preliminary 'wip-armhf' branch pushed
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 08:24:10 +0100

On Thu, Jan 01, 2015 at 02:11:19AM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:

     > On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 06:40:23PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
     >
     >      * You added "CFLAGS=-Wno-cast-qual" and "--disable-werror" for ARM
in
     >        'gcc-configure-flags-for-triplet', which I thought was a bad idea
and
     >        didn't belong there.
     >
     > Have you tried actually building GCC ?

     Yes, I've built several GCCs including gcc-final.  I've also
     successfully built the 'hello' package.

     > I found that without those, it failed to build.

     Perhaps the problem you ran into was fixed in GCC 4.8.4.

Yeah possibly.

     >      * You patched gcc/config/arm/linux-eabi.h unnecessarily.
     >
     > Without that patch, GCC actually builds soft-float code, even though
     > you may have passed the --with-float=hard flag.  What bits of that
     > patch do you think are not necessary?

     All of it seems to be unnecessary, by experiment.  I've used the
     resulting GCC to compile the following test program:

     'foo' accepts the double arguments via registers and passes a double to
     sinh via registers.  I also checked a variant that simply returned a*b,
     and it was clearly returning the result via register as well.

     I think it's quite clear that this is using the hard-float ABI, no?

My results showed that simple binaries like that compiled (and ran) ok.  The
problems arose when linking with
bigger projects.  I don't recall the details.  Have you tried building libc?  I
suspect that is where the patch
will be needed.

J'

--