guix-devel

Re: gobject-introspection typelibs and shared libraries

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: gobject-introspection typelibs and shared libraries
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:10:03 +0100

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've created a branch named wip-gobject-introspection with the patch
>> and version 1.42.0.  I've also pushed version updates for pango and
>> gdk-pixbuf compatible with the former.

[...]

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I went down this road, and found that a great many things fail.  I don't
>> remember finding a single package that uses gobject-introspection that
>> worked without updating.
>>
>> I got stuck on eudev.  The newest version doesn't work, and I didn't see
>> anything in their git repo to fix it either.
>>
>> Before moving forward on this, can you find a way to build eudev with
>> gobject-introspection-1.42.0?

The attached patch fixes the build of eudev with the newer
gobject-introspection. It turns out that g-ir-scanner looks for the C
compiler as either 'cc' or as the environment variable 'CC'.  So, the
fix was easy in retrospective :-).

The question is: do we want to make a 'cc' symlink to 'gcc' in the
'gcc' package? This is something that many distributions do.  If we
don't, we may have to make a patch similar to the attached one for
several packages (or patch 'gobject-introspection' to look for 'gcc'
by default). Personally I would prefer the symlink approach.

>> Also, I'm currently working on upgrading almost every package in
>> xorg.scm, as well as glib and dbus.  I'll push it as a branch in the
>> next day or two.  It probably makes the most sense to build your branch
>> on top of mine.

Now that your updates are in master, I've merged them into the branch
wip-gobject-introspection.
To help see what works and what not, it would be helpful to set up
hydra to build the wip-gobject-introspection branch.

WDYT?

Regards,
Fede