guix-devel

KDE

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: KDE
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:40:39 +0100

Hello!

A quick progress report on my KDE efforts, without much progress, actually.
In the meantime, I got kdelibs compiled; some of the tests fail. But the
"hello world" program of some tutorial I found on the web compiles and runs.
I also compiled a "real" KDE application, ktouch. Now when one wants to run
it, one needs kde-runtime with (at least) lots of qml resources. I think there
would be quite some work, and maybe we would need to define some new search
paths, for Qt and/or KDE. For instance, the configure of Phonon complains
about the following:
-- PHONON_QT_IMPORTS_DIR is set to
/gnu/store/50kyr9zs06cvp7ra22zs68zb05gq2xcf-phonon-4.8.3/lib64/qt
4/imports.
      The QML plugins for Phonon will not be installed into the Qt system
installation directory,
      which is /gnu/store/lc0dijbmvl6a14zqi924azqrdsx34vwl-qt-4.8.6/imports .
      This means the QML plugins file will not be found by default.
      You can:
       * switch the cmake option PHONON_INSTALL_QT_EXTENSIONS_INTO_SYSTEM_QT to
TRUE
       * set PHONON_QT_IMPORTS_INSTALL_DIR manually to the system Qt location
       * at runtime, set the QML_IMPORT_PATH environment variable
-- PHONON_QT_MKSPECS_INSTALL_DIR is set to
/gnu/store/50kyr9zs06cvp7ra22zs68zb05gq2xcf-phonon-4.8.3/
share/qt4/mkspecs/modules.
      The Qt mkspecs file for Phonon will not be installed into the Qt system
installation directory
,
      which is
/gnu/store/lc0dijbmvl6a14zqi924azqrdsx34vwl-qt-4.8.6/mkspecs/modules .
      This means the qt_phonon.pri file will not be found by default.
      You can:
       * switch the cmake option PHONON_INSTALL_QT_EXTENSIONS_INTO_SYSTEM_QT to
TRUE
       * set PHONON_QT_MKSPECS_INSTALL_DIR manually to the system Qt location
       * at runtime, with Qt >= 4.8, set the QMAKEPATH environment variable
-- PHONON_QT_PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR is set to
/gnu/store/50kyr9zs06cvp7ra22zs68zb05gq2xcf-phonon-4.8.3/lib64/qt4/plugins/designer.
      The Qt designer plugins for Phonon will not be installed into the Qt
system installation directory,
      which is
/gnu/store/lc0dijbmvl6a14zqi924azqrdsx34vwl-qt-4.8.6/plugins/designer .
      This means the designer plugins file will not be found by default.
      You can:
       * switch the cmake option PHONON_INSTALL_QT_EXTENSIONS_INTO_SYSTEM_QT to
TRUE
       * set PHONON_QT_PLUGINS_INSTALL_DIR manually to the system Qt location
       * at runtime, set the QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable

Right now, I feel it does not make much sense to invest an arbitrary amount
of time here. Instead, I will start looking at kde-5 (without much urgency;
there is no reason to believe it will be easier, but the time will probably
be better spent).

Andreas