guix-devel

Extending 'guix download'

From: David Thompson
Subject: Extending 'guix download'
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 15:34:04 -0500

I'm looking for thoughts about what the CLI should look like for an
improved 'guix download' that is capable of downloading git repos, svn
repos, etc. in addition to files over HTTP.  There could be to be
additional context-sensitive switches to specify details beyond a URL.
For example, git repos need a commit SHA.

    guix download --method=git --commit=74217b9 address@hidden/foo/foo.git

Or perhaps more flags aren't needed and we can use a specific order of
arguments:

    guix download --method=git address@hidden/foo/foo.git 74217b9

Or we could create subcommands for each download method:

    guix download git address@hidden/foo/foo.git 74217b9

I really don't know what the best option is, because I'm not very
experienced with writing sensible command-line interfaces.

Thoughts?

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org