guix-devel

Re: Openssl and certificate directory

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Openssl and certificate directory
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 10:49:37 +0100

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 08:57:32PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Unlike GnuTLS, OpenSSL supports setting the trust store location using
> environment variables, specifically SSL_CERT_DIR and SSL_CERT_FILE.
> Shouldn't we just use those?

I had read about these, but the documentation mentions them only in the
context of c_rehash. So I thought they were not generally applicable. But
indeed they are, I just tried SSL_CERT_DIR with youtube-dl. Also, it can be
a ":" separated list of directories. So we should probably encourage its
usage by defining a search path with our (future) certificate packages.

> If we were to apply this patch, I'd rather have just one rebuild rather
> than two, especially since our MIPS build slave is unable to keep up as
> it is.  What do you think?

So maybe we do not need it at all? What do you think? Concerning the rebuilds,
I would say that the aim of continuous integration would be to determine
exactly the place where something goes wrong, so in general, I am rather
in favour of more rebuilds. As the one mips machine cannot keep up, it would
then be reasonable to abort earlier builds.

Andreas