guix-devel

Re: Some macros to make package definitions prettier

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Some macros to make package definitions prettier
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 20:27:58 +0100

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Thompson, David
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I understand the temptation to name it 'modify-phases', but since this
>> macro applies to any alist, I think 'modify-alist' or something with
>> "alist" in the name would be more appropriate.
>
> Looking again, I see that the above isn't quite true.  The
> 'modify-phases' macro assumes that the keys of the alist are symbols
> so that the user doesn't have to quote the phase names.
>
> - Dave

Right.  I was going to mention that, then forgot.

If we ever need a generic `alist-modify', we can do that too, but for
now this seems to be the only(?) use-case, and I think it's a big step
towards allowing non-Schemers to work with package definitions without
intimidation by foreign concepts and terminology.  (As simple as alists
are once one grasps them, it will be one more little annoyance for those
who aren't motivated to learn Scheme.)

Taylan