guix-devel

Re: Locale of build environments

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Locale of build environments
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:13:40 +0100

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Commit 5335c56 adds an ‘install-locale’ phase to gnu-build-system and
>>> the next one adds glibc-utf8-locale to the implicit inputs.
>>>
>>> During bootstrap, locales aren’t available so we’re still running on the
>>> C locale, which is fine in practice because we only get to deal with
>>> ASCII file names at that point and do not need UTF-8 for tests or
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> Commit 9cca706 adjust patch-and-repack to use UTF-8 as well when
>>> possible–i.e., not during bootstrap.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> However, there's a missing piece: I think we should set LANG to the
>> chosen locale, otherwise the top-level guile builder will be the only
>> process that uses UTF-8.  What do you think?
>
> Yes, why not.  It’s not strictly necessary but it’s probably a good
> idea.  Like this?

I went ahead with this change (to avoid an additional rebuild), but
comments are welcome of course.

Besides, commit e8c9f04 is interesting: ‘substitute*’ will now break
non-UTF-8 files by defaults (replacing invalid UTF-8 sequences with
question marks in the output.)  I don’t think this is a big issue, but
we’ll see in practice if it is.

Ludo’.