guix-devel

Re: Texlive

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Texlive
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 19:54:41 +0100

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 12:16:58PM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> Just to clarify: the idea would be that the "--aggregate" command
> would produce a new package in the store. The new in store package
> would inherit the content of the "--with" packages, but with the
> possibility to replace some parts (e.g. ls-R, ...) with the help of
> some phase. The new parts would only be residing in the new aggregate
> and the user would install the new aggregate instead of the other
> individual parts.

I see. As mentioned by Ludovic, this seems like a big hammer to solve a
smallish problem. Something easier could be done in the texlive module
already. I considered something along the following lines:
- Write a procedure that takes a (possibly empty) list of subdirectories to
  delete from texlive-texmf, and that returns the corresponding package.
  For the current texlive-texmf, one would pass an empty list, for
  texlive-texmf-small, it could be a list containing "doc", for instance.
- Write a procedure that takes a texlive-texmf type input and creates
  a corresponding texlive package, and use it for texlive and texlive-small.
This would be theoretically very flexible, but I think we want to limit the
number of texlive packages exposed to the public; personally, I would say
to two...

Andreas