guix-devel

Re: System configuration, ~/.profile, custom path etc.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: System configuration, ~/.profile, custom path etc.
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:48:01 +0100

白い熊@相撲道 <address@hidden> skribis:

> The .bashrc created after install is readonly by default. I understand
> I can chmod it and change it, but I thought the reason for this is
> exactly that it is the idea of Guix to modify it via the skeleton
> pairs in sysconfig and not edit it directly.
>
> Is this not so?

No, it’s just an accident due to ‘useradd’ preserving the skeleton’s
permission bits.  The user’s dot files can be modified as they see fit;
they are not managed at all by Guix.

But that these files are created read-only is really a bug.  useradd(8)
doesn’t seem to have an option to change the permission bits, so we may
have to iterate over all the dot files after the useradd invocation to
change their permissions.  Better ideas?

Thanks,
Ludo’.