guix-devel

Re: reproducible builds and debugging information

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: reproducible builds and debugging information
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:24:22 +0100

Tomáš Čech <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 10:21:35PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>>> On openSUSE you have available all the subpackage providing stripped
>>> debug informations and subpackage providing source code from the
>>> moment of build (so DWARF information in debug part can match the source).
>>
>>You mean there’s a ‘-debug’ package for every single package?
>
> For every single binary package, yes. You can suppress it too. Why it
> is so surprising?

It’s just that I didn’t know, and my recollection is that Debian doesn’t
have -dbg packages for every package.

> I would like to move the decision whether to keep or to drop debug
> information outside of the build itself to keep the hash the same.
>
> Imagine situation where you added "debug" output to every package and
> after each build the newly generated store with debug information is
> deleted (carefully, not to corrupt database, of course). Your hash
> still will be the same.

I see what you mean, but again, that’s not how it works, and I would
argue that it’s not desirable.

To move forward, a possible action would be to try to have ‘outputs’
default to '("out" "debug") and see (1) how much breaks, and (2) how
much space.

Would you like to give it a try?

Thanks,
Ludo’.