guix-devel

Help needed with security updates for Qt

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Help needed with security updates for Qt
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 10:20:48 -0400

Hi,

Qt includes bundled copies of a *lot* of stuff.  Among other things, it
bundles Chromium, which also bundles a lot of stuff.  Someone who cares
about Qt needs to be on top of security updates for the things it
bundles.

Better yet, we should try to get it to use our system copies of
libraries whenever possible.

I'm aware of security updates for Chromium since the versions of Qt in
Guix were released.  There are probably many others as well.

If we make a separate Chromium package, then beware that there will
probably be FSDG issues that need to be addressed, e.g. offering to
install non-free software like flash, video codecs or plugins.  It may
be that we need to address these issues even if we don't make a separate
Chromium package, depending on how Qt uses it.

There's also stuff like this:

  "chromium: unconditionally downloads binary blob"

It's a big hairy mess, and to be honest I don't want to touch Qt with a
ten foot pole.  Someone who cares about Qt needs to get on top of this.

Any takers?

      Mark