guix-devel

Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:28:37 +0200

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> 'dconf' apparently needs to be in the profile for both GNOME Terminal
>> and Totem because of the session dbus service(s) it provides.  Without
>> it, modern GNOME programs behave quite badly.  They have no way to
>> access or change their own configuration settings, e.g. if you go into
>> their preferences, you see checkboxes that do not change their state
>> when clicked.
>
> Really?  In Evince, I can change the state of various things (such as
> whether or not to view documents continuously), but those changes are
> lost across restarts.  However, changes made via dconf-editor are not
> lost.  Weird no?

'dconf' is responsible for handling the program configuration. For
writes, it contacts D-Bus, for read it doesn't need D-Bus.

https://developer.gnome.org/dconf/0.22/dconf-overview.html

If 'dconf' is not available, the program reverts to a 'memory' back-end
and configuration is lost upon exit.

For this reason 'dconf' should be available to all GLib programs
(implicit input to 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'?).

Regards,
Fede